Plantation, now known as Melrose, was established in the last
quarter of the 18th Century by a remarkable family
of freed slaves, and contains what is certainly one of the most
significant collections of buildings of African-American origin
to be found in the United States.
Of the nine
buildings presently on the property, five of these, Yucca House,
the African House, Ghana House, the Big House, and the Barn date
from the period of African-American Ownership.
Yucca House was probably the original plantation owners
house before the Big House was built in 1847.
Ghana House was moved onto the grounds in the 1930s,
but is contemporary with the others.
buildings and grounds of Melrose Plantation were designated a
National Historic Landmark on July 1, 1974.
Our firm was retained for
consultation to develop stabilization strategies for the foundation
and chimney restoration of Yucca House and the roof of African
House. In addition our firm is involved the the development
of Historic Structure Reports for both African House and Yucca
Owner: Association for the
Preservation of Historic Natchitoches